Low-carb osso buco with cauli mash
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lbs 1.8 kg veal shanks*
- 11 oz. (2 cups) 300 g (450 ml) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 4 (52⁄3 oz.) 4 (160 g) celery stalk, dicedcelery stalks, diced
- 4 4 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 4 bay leafbay leaves
- 4 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 cups 700 ml
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cider vinegar apple
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- salt, if needed
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- 21⁄3 lbs 1.1 kg cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 oz. 110 g cream cheese
- ½ cup (11⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (40 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pot and brown the veal shanks in batches on all sides.
- Remove to a plate while you cook the onion, celery, garlic, and herbs until just softened.
- Return the Osso Bucco to the pot add the beef stock, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste. Cover and cook for 4 hours in the oven. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large pot. Cover with water and bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the cauliflower is fork-tender. Do not overcook or you will get watery mash.
- Place the cooked cauliflower into a strainer over the sink and drain. Let the cauliflower sit in the strainer for about five minutes to dry out slightly. Then put the cauliflower florets into a high-speed blender and then add the cream cheese and parmesan.
- Blitz until smooth and creamy. This may take a few minutes and there is always a moment where you think it won’t work, just keep going, scrape down the sides a couple of times if you need to. Once the mash is smooth and creamy, season to taste with salt and pepper.
*I can't find veal shanks, what to do?
If you can’t easily find veal shanks cuts, then any slow cooking beef such as cheeks, chuck or prime rib will work perfectly. If boneless estimate about 8 oz per serving.
Use the slow cooker
Alternatively, brown your osso bucco and then add it with all of the other ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
Recommended special equipment
- Blender or food processor
- Large ovenproof pot or slow cooker