Low-carb osso buco with cauli mash
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lbs 1.8 kg veal shanks*
- 11 oz. 300 g , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 4 4 celery stalk, dicedcelery stalks, diced
- 4 4 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 4 bay leafbay leaves
- 4 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 cups 700 ml
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cider vinegar apple
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- salt, if needed
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- 21⁄3 lbs 1 kg cauliflower
- 4 oz. 110 g cream cheese
- 2 oz. 50 g finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pot and brown the veal shanks in batches on all sides.
- Remove to a plate while you cook the onion, celery, garlic, and herbs until just softened.
- Return the Osso Bucco to the pot add the beef stock and the apple cider vinegar. Cover and cook for 4 hours in the oven. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place them in a large pot. Cover with water and bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the cauliflower is fork-tender. Do not overcook or you will get watery mash.
- Place the cooked cauliflower into a colander over the sink and drain. Let the cauliflower sit in the colander for about five minutes to dry out slightly. Then put the cauliflower florets into a high-speed blender and then add the cream cheese and parmesan.
- Blitz until smooth and creamy. This may take a few minutes and there is always a moment where you think it won’t work, just keep going, scrape down the sides a couple of times if you need to. Once the mash is smooth and creamy, season to taste with salt and pepper.
*I can't find veal shanks, what to do?
If you can’t easily find veal shanks cuts, then any slow cooking beef such as cheeks, chuck or prime rib will work perfectly. If boneless estimate about 8 oz per serving.
Use the slow cooker
Alternatively, brown your osso bucco and then add it with all of the other ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.