Low carb fried rice
There are countless variations of fried rice, or khao phat, in Thailand. Sahil Makhija of Headbanger's Kitchen made sure to contribute a low carb version of this classic Thai dish. Riced cauliflower stir-fried with quick-marinated pork and mushrooms.
Prik nam pla
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 2 chopped red chili pepper, preferably Thai bird's eyechopped red chili peppers, preferably Thai bird's eye
- ½ ½ lime, juicelimes, juice
- 11 oz. 300 g cauliflower
- 9 oz. 260 g pork tenderloin or chicken breast, cut into thin sliceschicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 3 tsp 3 tsp tamari soy sauce, divided
- 1 tsp 1 tsp white pepper, divided
- 3½ oz. 100 g bok choy
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3½ oz. 100 g oyster mushroomoyster mushrooms or mushrooms
- 2 2 large egglarge eggs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ oz. (21⁄3 tbsp) 14 g (33 ml) scallion, finely slicedscallions, finely sliced
- 2⁄3 oz. (2 tbsp) 19 g (28 ml) red onion, slicedred onions, sliced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Add the fish sauce, chili, and lime juice to a small bowl. Mix well and set aside
- Rice the cauliflower using your food processor or a grater. Transfer to a microwaveable bowl, season with salt, and microwave for 10 minutes.
- Trim and slice the pork tenderloin into thin slices. Mix together 2/3 of the tamari soy sauce and half the white pepper. Marinate the pork slices in this mixture while you complete steps four and five.
- When cutting the bok choy, separate the stems from the leaves. Roughly chop the leaves and set them aside. Slice the stems and keep them separately.
- Heat the coconut oil in a wok and add the bok choy stems. Fry until tender. Then add the garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Add the pork and the oyster mushrooms and stir-fry on high heat. After the pork is almost cooked, move it to the side of the wok and crack in the eggs. Scramble the eggs once they start cooking and mix everything well
- Add the cooked cauliflower rice and give everything a good mix. Add the red onion and the bok choy leaves. Season with the rest of the soy sauce, white pepper, and fish sauce.
- Give everything a good mix and cook until the onions soften and the leaves wilt. Finish with the scallions and the sesame oil.
- Serve the fried rice with the prik nam pla sauce.
Prik nam pla
The original recipe does contain red onion, but if you want to reduce carbs, feel free to omit it.
Diet Doctor’s recipe team has slightly adjusted this recipe to follow our guidelines. You’ll find the original recipe in Sahil's cookbook, "Keto Life".
Awesome! So glad you love it!