Beef Stroganoff with cauliflower rice
Beef Stroganoff has been a favorite dish the world over since the 19th Century. This is an updated classic Russian meal with a low carb twist: sirloin steak and cauliflower rice. Packed with flavor and freezer-friendly. Let's cook!
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter for frying
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g) yellow onion, halved and slicedyellow onions, halved and sliced
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ lbs 650 g sirloin steak, sliced across the grainsirloin steaks, sliced across the grain
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups 700 ml water
- 1 cup 240 ml heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 oz. 55 g butter for frying
- 1½ lbs 650 g cauliflower, shredded or frozen cauliflower rice
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- In a large pan over medium heat, fry the onion and garlic in butter until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high and fry the meat for a couple of minutes on each side until lightly browned and seared.
- Add the onion and garlic back to the pan with tomato paste, dijon mustard, paprika, thyme, and water. Simmer on low heat until the meat is tender, approximately 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After 1 hour, add heavy cream and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- To make the cauliflower rice, add butter to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted add the cauliflower and fry until softened. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve the beef Stroganoff with the cauliflower rice and lettuce (optional). Sprinkle with parsley.