Keto cheese-burger meatloaf with BBQ mayo
Classic meatloaf meets cheeseburger for this keto take on comfort food. If you usually make meatloaf in a loaf pan, you'll love how hand-molding it into a loaf, and wrapping it in bacon, gives it a crispy, seared exterior while keeping the gooey, cheese-filled center. Serve with a fresh salad and BBQ mayo.
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 1 large egg, slightly beatenlarge eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz. (1 cup) 110 g (230 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
- 6 oz. 170 g bacon
- ¼ cup 60 ml mild chili sauce, sugar-free
- ½ cup 120 ml mayonnaise
- ½ tsp ½ tsp liquid smoke and smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 oz. (4 cups) 140 g (900 ml) lettuce leaves, whole or chopped
- 5 oz. 140 g cucumber, sliced ribbons
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (230 g) tomato, thinly slicedtomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) red onion, thinly slicedred onions, thinly sliced
- 4 (19 oz.) 4 (550 g) pickle, spearspickles, spears
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Move the oven rack to the middle position, and preheat the oven to 375°F (200°C). Line a baking tray with tin foil, and place a fitted wire rack on top.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the ground meat, garlic, egg, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands, shape the meat mixture into a loaf, approximately 8"x 5" (20 x 13 cm). Create a ditch in the middle of the loaf, by pressing the meat down length-wise and out to the sides (about 2" or 5 cm wide), leaving a 1" (2.5 cm) meat perimeter around the space. Fill with the cheese, and then use the meat edges to spread over the cheese.
- Place the meatloaf on the wire rack. Wrap the bacon slices over the loaf width-wise, and tuck the ends underneath. Bake on the middle rack for 50-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160-165°F (71-74°C). For crispier bacon, broil for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to rest for 10-15 minutes, before serving. In the meantime, prepare the BBQ mayo and salad.
- Mix the BBQ mayo ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl, and set aside.
- Place the lettuce in a serving bowl, topped with the cucumber ribbons, sliced tomatoes, and onions.
- Slice the rested meatloaf and serve with the salad, pickle, and a dollop of the BBQ mayo.
BBQ mayo & salad
Recommended special equipment
Baking tray with a fitted wire rack