Celery root with bacon and cheese
- 2 lbs 900 g
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 5 oz. 140 g bacon, finely chopped or diced
- 2 (1 oz.) 2 (30 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- 1 cup 240 ml
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) 180 ml (85 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- The celery root should not be peeled just scrubbed clean under running water. Cut off the top and the roots so it can stand firmly. Put the celery in a baking dish. Drizzle or brush with olive oil on the top. Season with sea salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the celery is soft inside.
- Fry the bacon in a frying pan until crispy. Mix the bacon with the scallions, butter, sour cream, and cheese. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the celery from the oven and top with the bacon-cheese mixture. Raise the temperature to 450°F (225°C) and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese got a nice golden color.
You can replace bacon with smoked salmon, ham, sausage or deli turkey.
If you want to keep it vegetarian, add pitted olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes or pickled jalapeños.