Baked eggplant with chorizo and avocado sauce
- 7 oz. 200 g avocado, fleshavocados, flesh
- 1⁄3 cup (1⁄5 oz.) 80 ml (5.5 g) coarsely chopped, fresh parsley or
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 1 green chili pepper, stem removed, sliced lengthwise, seededgreen chili peppers, stem removed, sliced lengthwise, seeded
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml olive oil
- 1 oz. (32⁄3 tbsp) 28 g (55 ml) pistachio nuts, kernels, dry roasted
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1½ lbs 650 g , stems cut off, and sliced lengthwise
- sea salt, or Kosher salt, for seasoning
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 lb 450 g chorizo
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Set aside a baking tray or dish, lined with parchment paper.
- Add the avocado, parsley or cilantro, water, lime juice, garlic, green chili pepper, and salt to a food processor bowl, or blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the oil and pistachios. Lightly blend to create a chunky texture. Add more oil or water for a thinner texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Using a small knife, score the cut sides of the eggplant, by making diagonal cuts across, 1/4" (5 mm) deep, and 1/4" (5 mm) apart, and then again on the opposite sides, creating a diamond pattern. Sprinkle evenly with salt, and then drizzle, or brush olive oil on top. Place skin side down on the baking tray or dish.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender. In the meantime, prepare the chorizo.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, melt butter if using. Add the chorizo and cook for 20 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Serve the chorizo and eggplant, with the avocado sauce on the side.
Chorizo and eggplant
We recommend that you choose fresh, good quality sausage, with as few additives as possible. You can also use cold sliced turkey, bacon or pork belly.
You can use the avocado sauce as a dip or dressing for a wide variety of dishes. It also works really well with egg and fish dishes.
You can store the sauce for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Feel free to add more oil or water, depending on the consistency you like.
Recommended special equipment
Baking tray or dish lined with parchment paper, blender or food processor, pastry brush.