Keto shrimp and grits
- 14 oz. 400 g cauliflower
- 1½ cups 350 ml chicken stock
- 1 oz. 28 g butter
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 oz. (½ cup) 55 g (120 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp
- 1 lb 450 g peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tsp 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- salt (optional)
- 3½ oz. 100 g bacon
- 1 1 big minced garlic clovebig minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp 1 tsp fresh chives for garnish
- 1 tsp 1 tsp lemon juice
- Using a food processor or a hand-held grater, rice the cauliflower. Aim for a fine, couscous-like consistency.
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover with a lid, and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the butter, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 more minutes, until the broth has reduced and the cauliflower is tender.
- Add the cheese and cream and stir to combine, keep stirring until the cauliflower grits are at your desired consistency. Keep warm until serving.
- Rinse, drain and pat dry the shrimp, add them to a large bowl. Season with the cajun seasoning, salt, and black pepper and set aside. If the seasoning contains salt already, you can reduce or omit it.
- Chop the bacon and fry it in a pan over medium-high heat until crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the same pan that you cooked the bacon in. Make sure you do NOT remove any of the bacon fat from the pan.
- About 2 minutes after adding the shrimp, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, add the butter to the frying pan and cook for another minute more until the shrimp is cooked all the way through.
- Turn off the heat and add in the lemon juice and give it a final stir.
- Serve the shrimp and bacon bits over the keto grits and garnish with chives or the green part of a spring onion.
Bacon and shrimp
Diet Doctor’s recipe team has slightly adjusted this recipe to follow our guidelines. You’ll find the original recipe in Sahil's cookbook, "Keto Life".