In 2016 he won the prestigious NHS Innovator of the Year award for his work with diabetes patients. On top of that, Dr. Unwin is the medical advisor at the popular Low Carb Program and is doing his best to spread knowledge about low carb among doctors, dietitians and nurses.
In 2017/18, his practice saved £57,000 on drugs for type 2 diabetes, hypertension and other conditions by offering patients a dietary alternative to medications. Recently Dr. Unwin was named the ninth most influential general practitioner in the UK by GP magazine Pulse.
Moreover, he is Clinical Expert in Diabetes at Fellowship of the Royal College of General Practitioners and he has written peer-reviewed papers to strengthen the science behind low-carb diets. 1
In collaboration with Dr. Unwin we have created a video course for doctors with practical tips about using low carb with patients.
Make sure to check out Dr. Unwin’s Twitter.
Medically reviewed articles
Potential conflicts of interest
Dr Unwin has been on a low-carb diet since 2012 and worked as a UK NHS General Practitioner since 1986. He has other unpaid, voluntary roles for:
- Royal College of General Practitioners (UK), as a clinical expert in diabetes.
- All Party Parliamentary Group on Diabetes (UK), an ambassador.
- The Public Health Collaboration, a charity working towards better public health, an advisor.
- Queenscourt Hospice, Southport UK, Trustee.
- NNEdPro Cambridge (Need for Nutrition Education / Innovation Programme), senior Collaborator
- Diabetes.co.uk, an advisor.
No other potential conflicts of interest.
Here are a few: