She is currently an associate professor at the University of Westminster, Research Fellow at King’s College London, and Head of Nutrition Research at the Dasman Diabetes Institute in Kuwait. She also runs her own private clinical practice.
Select scholarly publications
She is the lead investigator on multiple dietary studies including on low carb and uses a low-carb approach with many of her patients. To name just a few:
Select grant awards
- Medical Research Council. The Malaysian GestatiOnal Diabetes and prevention of DiabtES Study (MY GODDESS), 2019, co-investigator.
- Diabetes UK. Towards targeted dietary
support for shift-workers with Type 2 diabetes: a mixed methods study, 2019. Co-principal investigator.
- Innovate UK. Can a digitally and IoT-enabled behaviour change programme achieve >15kg weight loss and 70% remission rates?
- Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation. Towards remission of type 2 diabetes without weight loss, 2018, principal investigator.
- Chronic Disease Research Foundation PhD Studentship, 2018
- Medical Research Council: Is high folate and low B12 status associated with increased DNA methylation and a higher risk of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus? Can supplementation with vitamin B12 during pregnancy reduce this risk? Co-PI with Sobczynska-Malefora, A. 2017
- National Institute of Clinical Excellence Scholar 2018: Improving Inpatient Meal Provision for Patients with Diabetes.
- Diabetes UK Innovator in Diabetes (iDia) Program (2015-2018)
- Member of Diabetes UK Clinical Studies Group on prevention, targets & therapies for Type 2 diabetes (2017 to present): This group identifies research priorities for type 2 diabetes in the UK, and makes recommendations to Diabetes UK, NIHR, MRC and other research councils for research calls.
- Topic expert for the National Institute of Clinical Excellence guidelines review panel on prevention of type 2 diabetes. (2016 to 2017).
- Winston Churchill Foundation Fellowship: Prevention of Diabetes, Lessons from the USA and China, 2014.
Medically reviewed evidence-based Diet Doctor guides
- Do you need to eat fruits and vegetables?
- Vegetable oils: are they healthy?
- A user guide to saturated fat
- Protein on a low-carb or keto diet
Potential conflicts of interest
Dr. Guess has received research or fellowship funding from Diabetes UK, the Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation, the Medical Research Council, Winston Churchill Memorial Trust and a combined award from the National Obesity Forum/Weight Watchers.
She has received consulting fees from Boeringer Ingelheim, Babylon Partners, Oviva and Ways of Eating (a low-carb app). She is also founder and director of CityDietitians, a nutritional consulting company.