Driven and product-focused lead front end engineer
Diet Doctor was founded in 2007 by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, who was inspired to help people eat better and live a healthier life. Beginning as a simple blog, we are now in 2019 the global leader in our niche, with more than 30 full-time co-workers around the world. Most of us work from our central Stockholm office.
What you may be surprised to know is that Diet Doctor is fully self-funded, and we have never taken VC money – pretty unique for a fast-growing startup that is more than doubling in size every year. This makes us fully in control of our own destiny, and not beholden to outside influence. Apart from competitive salaries and benefits, this allows us to offer all employees to buy a stake in the company regularly.
The Engineering team that you will join is small but growing steadily. We are taking our time to find the right people, and as we’re still less than 10 people it also implies that you will be given a lot of responsibility – and have an equally strong voice in both what we do and how we do it.
Read more about Diet Doctor and our values here.
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to put your best design ideas forward and refine the way our services work, look, and feel to our customers.
- The opportunity to get into the company early on, helping us evolve our products and services ecosystem at a moment when the company is growing very fast (> 150% year over year) but still is small enough for you to make a deep personal impact.
- Shape your own role as we grow together and our needs evolve.
- Own a meaningful part of the company that you put your best work into, through our direct shares offering to employees that occur on a regular basis.
- Many interesting problems to solve, and future products & services to be designed and built – all on a global scale and with meaningful impact on people’s lives.
- The largest low-carb site in the world.
- 500k daily visits, more than doubling our traffic year over year.
- Top Google ranking for our segment.
- Global presence (English, Spanish, Swedish and more coming).
- iOS app (released in January 2019); Android app coming soon.
Our tech stack
- Microservices built mainly in Go & run on Kubernetes/Docker.
- GraphQL API for external clients (including our iOS app).
- CMS based on WordPress (PHP/MySQL).
- Deployed on Amazon’s AWS cloud.
Who you are
- You have an experienced eye and a strong intuitive sense of what constitutes great design, with a laser focus on making things as simple as possible to use, but also lively and beautiful to behold.
- You think holistically, being able to move from the big picture visionary level down to the details, both when designing and while implementing.
- You have a passion for creating beautiful code, with a focus on readability and maintainability.
- You have a passion for leading a team and managing projects, and inspire your team members to get things done – on deadline and with the level of production quality required for the reliability and global scalability we need.
- You have a lot of experience working as part of a fast-moving team, delivering quality code on time.
- You are a self-going and pragmatic doer who enjoys taking responsibility.
- Finally, you are someone who wants to contribute to truly make the world a better place.
What you’ll do
- You will lead the frontend team, be in charge of the architecture, and set the roadmap for how we improve our platform going forward.
- You will be an integral part in the user research, prototyping, and UX design phases in our frontend projects, collaborating closely with the design team.
- You will build and deploy modern, maintainable, robust, and scalable web apps to the cloud.
- You will support our primary mission – delivering valuable content and services to our members to help them improve their health.
- Deep knowledge and experience with designing, prototyping and coding modern, accessible, scalable and simple user interfaces.
- 5+ years of frontend development experience.
- Experience in developing for WordPress and/or React (or similar UI frameworks) is a big plus.
- Having worked with TDD or similar testing methodologies is highly valued – we love tests! :)
- Previous contribution to open source software projects and the community is highly valued.
We strive to build our Engineering team with dedicated full-time employees, so we are currently not looking for freelancers or consultants.
You will be working primarily from our Stockholm office, at Vasagatan 40. Do you currently live somewhere else but speak excellent English? For exceptional candidates we will help with your move here, and also finding a place to live.
Timing not perfect? Reach out anyway – we’ll wait for the right person.
Apply now, deadline March 18th
To apply, email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Personal letter about why you’re right for this job, and why you would like to work at Diet Doctor. Please keep it to a single page.
- Links to projects you have been involved with are highly encouraged (please describe your individual involvement).
- Salary range suggestion
We are looking forward to your application!