|All posts (346)||Low Carb High Fat (74)||Resistant Starch (1)|
|Alcohol (5)||Meat (9)||Salt (7)|
|Dairy (1)||Non-caloric sweeteners (5)||Saturated fat (31)|
|Fake Low Carb Products (16)||Omega 6 (4)||Sugar/fructose (85)|
|Food for Animals (4)||Paleo Diets (33)||Vegetarian Diets (4)|
|Food for kids (35)||Real food (10)||Wheat (19)|
|Industrial food-like products (40)||Recipes (6)|
Is the beer belly a reality or a fantasy? Here’s another random expert claiming to have “calculated” that the beer belly is a myth:
It reminds me of the old idea that the bumblebee can’t fly, according to the laws of aerodynamics. Supposedly it’s too heavy for its small wings (but by now science has figured out exactly how it works).
If the problem with alcohol was only due to calories, both wine and spirits should be worse for our weight than beer. But in language after language there exists a special word for “beer belly”, but not for “wine belly”. Here are a few examples:
- German: Bierbauch
- Spanish: Panza de cerveza
- Dutch: Bierbuik
- Estonian: Õllekõht
- Swedish: Ölmage
The difference can be explained by the fact that beer isn’t just full of alcohol. It also contains plenty of rapidly digested carbs, that raise the blood sugar and the fat-storing hormone insulin. Thus beer has a different hormonal effect than wine. Beer tends to promote fat storage.
Beer bellies can’t be explained by calorie counting, but that doesn’t mean that reality is a myth. It’s just another example of how often simplistic calorie thinking misses the point.
Don’t get it? 3,2 million people do.
Do you want to lose weight? Here’s part 7 of a 17-part series of blog posts. You can read all the posted tips on the How to Lose Weight-page.
7. Men: Avoid Drinking Beer
This applies to women too, but men drink more beer on average. Beer contains rapidly digested carbs that shut down fat burning. That’s why beer is sometimes referred to as “liquid bread”. There’s a good reason for the term “beer belly.”
Here are smarter alcoholic options for losing weight:
- Wine (red or dry white)
- Dry champagne
- Pure spirits like whiskey, cognac, vodka (avoid sweetened cocktails – try vodka, soda, lime instead)
These drinks hardly contain any sugar/carbohydrates so they’re better than beer. However, large amounts of alcohol might slow weight loss somewhat, so moderation is still a good idea.
More: Read all posted tips on the How to Lose Weight-page.
This Polar Beer might be less dangerous than that big animal! But it’s not necessarily harmless for your weight or health.
If you want to keep your carbs way down you should probably find a lower carb alcoholic drink. Do you drink beer?
If you want to drink alcohol and avoid gaining weight it’s a good idea to avoid beer (malt sugar) and sweet drinks (sugar). Wine and pure liquor, such as whisky or brandy, are better choices.
All wines are not equally good: red wines and dry white wines (as well as dry champagne) usually contain the least amount of sugar.
What is your favorite drink?
- 1Celebrity Chef: “Sugar Can Destroy Lives and Should be Taxed Like Tobacco”49
- 2Shocking New Implantable Weight-Loss Device41
- 3Before the Obesity Epidemic38
- 4Reduced Soda Consumption Forces Coca-Cola to Cut Thousands of Jobs21
- 5World’s Biggest LCHF Health Summit Coming!20
- 1My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 2New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!131
- 3Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?125
- 4Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal109
- 5Is There a Safe Amount of Sugar?96
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- How to Lose Weight
- Afrasiab: This is a great post!…
- Lose Weight by Achieving Optimal Ketosis
- Ahmed: Thank you very much both…
- Questions and answers about LCHF
- LCHF for Beginners
- What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?
- Celebrity Chef: "Sugar Can Destroy Lives and Should be Taxed Like Tobacco"
- bill: The link to the article…
- "This Has to Be the Easiest Weight Loss Ever"
- More comments