|All posts (266)||The Obesity Epidemic (54)||Weight loss surgery (9)|
|Crazy ways to lose weight (15)||Weight loss stories (69)||Why Americans are Obese (20)|
|Insulin (25)||Weight loss studies (16)|
Many people with obesity or diabetes experience amazing health improvements with fewer carbohydrates in their diets. But you may still feel a little nervous at that follow-up appointment. What will the tests show?
A reader e-mailed me a story about what can happen.
“Have you started an LCHF diet, or something?” was the first thing the doctor said: Continue Reading →
Here’s the movie that the junk food industry fears.
This new American documentary about obesity – FED UP – could stir up the debate when it premiers in four weeks. It’s produced and narrated by Katie Couric, one of the best known American news anchors.
The movie seems to hit home when it comes to the causes of obesity. This by interviewing people who really know their stuff, including several of my heroes: Dr. Robert Lustig, Gary Taubes, Michael Pollan, Dr. David Ludwig and Dr. Mark Hyman. Bill Clinton is in it as well.
Watch the trailer – it’s excellent. Things are on a roll!
What do you think?
More and more Swedes get type 1 diabetes, which used to be called juvenile-onset diabetes.
It was previously thought that the increase only applied to children, but now it’s clear that the disease is also increasing greatly in people between 14 and 34 years:
Nobody knows for sure what causes the disease. For some reason, the immune system attacks the insulin-producing cells and kills them.
The increase in type 1 diabetes follows the rise of obesity – three times more people are obese today, than in the 80′s.
Obese people have greatly elevated levels of insulin in their blood, on average four times more (!) than lean people.
The same Western food that stimulate an overproduction of insulin, making susceptible people obese, may affect other people in other ways. Perhaps a hyper-stimulation of insulin-production constitutes a risk for an attack of the insulin-producing cells.
Perhaps the Western high-carb diet is not only behind obesity and type 2 diabetes in ever more people, but also behind an increased risk of type 1 diabetes? Continue Reading →
I received an email from Megan, 24, in Melbourne, Australia. She’s got a fantastic story about what happened when she stopped eating what people said was healthy:
It can be difficult to get rid of a sugar addiction. Just like quitting smoking, several attempts may be needed before you succeed.
Here’s Sara’s story: Continue Reading →
I received an e-mail with husband and wife success stories: Continue Reading →
I just got another e-mail from Mexico with an impressive success story! Continue Reading →
Here’s another good reason NOT to listen to your dietitian if you get diagnosed with diabetes*. A reader sent me her story:
Here’s low-carb blogger Jimmy Moore at the recent obesity conference. He’s smiling about soon hitting two consecutive years in deep ketosis (and 80 pounds or so lost).
The gadget he’s holding up is a new breath analyzer for acetone (i.e one of the two main ketone bodies). Yellow light means plenty of acetone.
The gadget is $99 and is good for any number of measurements. It seems to work pretty well. Better than urine strips but not quite as good as the gold standard: blood measurements.
Here’s Mauro’s LCHF story, from Mexico City: Continue Reading →
- 1A Calorie Is Not a Calorie – Not Even Close33
- 2Saturated Fat Completely Safe According to New Big Review of all Science!31
- 3The Problem Is the Soda. Not the Calories.29
- 4The Movie the Junk Food Industry Fears26
- 5Why You Should NOT Listen to Your Dietitian19
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!194
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?172
- 4Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- 5Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview141
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud
- The Doctor: "Have You Started an LCHF Diet, Or Something?"
- Why Do More and More Adults Get Type 1 Diabetes?
- Galina L.: I have a guess that…
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud Finally Results in an 8 Million Dollar Fine!
- Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- erdoke: Lisa, I don't think that a…
- Atkins and Their Fairy Tale Candy
- The Movie the Junk Food Industry Fears
- craig castanet: i'm glad you didn't say…
- More comments