|All posts (212)||Gary Taubes (21)||NuSI (1)|
|Calorie Counting (24)||Gut bacteria (1)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Robert Lustig (26)|
|Coca Cola (20)||Health Scares (4)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Confused thinking (10)||Intermittent fasting (6)||The Food Revolution (8)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Ketone Measuring (10)||The Swedish Revolution (45)|
|Drugs (4)||Living longer (3)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Evolution (1)||Lobbyism (10)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Myths about LCHF (5)|
Here’s the movie that the junk food industry fears.
This new American documentary about obesity – FED UP – could stir up the debate when it premiers in four weeks. It’s produced and narrated by Katie Couric, one of the best known American news anchors.
The movie seems to hit home when it comes to the causes of obesity. This by interviewing people who really know their stuff, including several of my heroes: Dr. Robert Lustig, Gary Taubes, Michael Pollan, Dr. David Ludwig and Dr. Mark Hyman. Bill Clinton is in it as well.
Watch the trailer – it’s excellent. Things are on a roll!
What do you think?
Here’s a panel discussion on the fight against sugar featuring, among others, myself and sugar’s enemy number one, ie Professor Robert Lustig.
The discussion took place last month at a health conference in Oslo. The other participants are Dr. Espen Rostrup (a solid rock in the Norwegian diet debate – when he dives in) and Tone Glestad from the Norwegian Center for Sugar Addiction. Together we discussed health problems from sugar consumption, as well as weak and strong points in Lustig’s message.
Recently a new 90 minute talk with professor Robert Lustig was posted on YouTube (his most watched – “Sugar, the Bitter Truth“ from 2009 – has 4 millions views).
You can see the new one above. It’s almost identical to his talk in Oslo that I attended yesterday. Well worth watching, even before Will Smith makes a surprise appearance!
See the talk for more on why sugar is a potential poison.
Here’s a great new episode called The Secrets of Sugar, from Canada’s investigative program the fifth estate on CBC.
Shownotes: CBC: The Secrets of Sugar
Is sugar toxic and the cause of the obesity epidemic? Here’s a great new video called Toxic Sugar. It’s a recent segment from the major Australian science program Catalyst, on ABC.
It’s arguably the best 18-minute introduction ever made on the true causes of the obesity epidemic. The program features the #1 enemy of the sugar industry: professor Robert Lustig. Also appearing: science writer Gary Taubes and obesity expert professor Michael Crowley.
See it and then tell your friends. This needs to be seen by a lot of people.
Here’s a few comments: Continue Reading →
Do you remember the new study showing that more available sugar in countries is closely followed by more cases of diabetes?
As I wrote this kind of observational correlation does not really prove causation. But the story is slightly more complicated. Dr Lustig emailed me yesterday: Continue Reading →
Still Believe ‘A Calorie Is a Calorie’? Dr Robert Lustig shares plenty of scientific reasons why that’s simply not correct:
Can sugar cause diabetes? Has the increase in sugar consumption caused the worldwide epidemic of type 2 diabetes? Ask the sugar industry and the answer is a definite NO. Ask a random scientist in the field and the answer is likely to be “probably”, “possibly”, or “maybe”.
Ask dr Robert Lustig and the answer is emphatically yes. And I think he’s absolutely right.
A new study adds more support. Looking at the available sugar during the last decade in 175 countries the relationship is clear: The more sugar available, the more diabetes. Less sugar, less diabetes.
One extra can of soda per day corresponds to an extra 1.1 percent prevalence of diabetes. If correct this would mean a single extra can of soda per day would cause 3,500,000 more people to suffer from diabetes – just in the US. A relationship that rivals the disease-causing effects of smoking.
This relationship is clear even when correcting for other possible causes like obesity. In other words: Here’s more support for the theory that excess sugar does not just make you fat. Sugar can probably make you sick even before you get fat.
To be fair, this study is just about statistical correlations: it does not prove causality. But it’s another smoking gun for the sugar industry to try to explain away.
The evidence of harmful effects of extra sugar in our diets is piling up. And there’s no need to consume it, there’s nothing nutritionally necessary about pure sugar in excessive amounts. Let’s just get rid of our sugar addiction and stop this disaster.
- NYT: It’s the Sugar, Folks
- The Guardian: Sugar is behind global explosion in type 2 diabetes, study finds
- PLOS one: The Relationship of Sugar to Population-Level Diabetes Prevalence: An Econometric Analysis of Repeated Cross-Sectional Data
- EpiAnalysis: Interpreting our findings from today’s study on sugars and diabetes
Don’t get it? 3,2 million people do.
It’s out. The book “Fat Chance” by professor Robert Lustig, the man who made millions of people watch a 90 minutes long lecture on nutrition (“Sugar, The Bitter Truth”). Lustig has the ability to make a subject exciting and his message could not be more important.
I’m reading the book right now and I’ll return with a more thorough review. But I want to tell you right now. While it’s only January 5th and while I haven’t yet finished the first read-through I’m already certain: This is the book of the year.
Do you want to know:
- Why a calorie is not a calorie?
- Why obesity is not about gluttony or sloth?
- What the real problem is with sugar and processed food?
- The cause of the epidemics of obesity and related diseases?
Here’s the answer (it starts with the letter “i”) in a fascinating read and with a concluding list of scientific references that should make the most inveterate critic give up.
- 1A Calorie Is Not a Calorie – Not Even Close33
- 2Saturated Fat Completely Safe According to New Big Review of all Science!31
- 3The Problem Is the Soda. Not the Calories.29
- 4The Movie the Junk Food Industry Fears26
- 5Why You Should NOT Listen to Your Dietitian19
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!194
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?172
- 4Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- 5Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview141
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud Finally Results in an 8 Million Dollar Fine!
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud
- The Doctor: "Have You Started an LCHF Diet, Or Something?"
- Why Do More and More Adults Get Type 1 Diabetes?
- Galina L.: I have a guess that…
- Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- erdoke: Lisa, I don't think that a…
- Atkins and Their Fairy Tale Candy
- More comments