Mainstream coverage of diet and health is dominated by the theme “eat less, exercise more.” However, we see progress, with a steady stream of op-eds questioning status quo thinking and making the case for a new approach.
Here are our picks for the top five opinion pieces in 2018:
- Dr. David Ludwig in the Los Angeles Times:
The case against carbohydrates gets stronger
- Nina Teicholz in The Wall Street Journal:
Carbs, Good for you? Fat chance!
- Dr. Sarah Hallberg in The Detroit News, The Baltimore Sun and the Houston Chronicle:
Don’t manage diabetes, reverse it
- Dr. David Ludwig and Kenneth Rogoff in The New York Times:
The toll of America’s obesity
- Dr. Sarah Hallberg in The Hill:
Government dietary guidelines are plain wrong: Avoid carbs, not fat
- Gary Taubes and Nina Teicholz in the Los Angeles Times:
U.S. News is wrong about what constitutes the best diet
- Dr. Bret Scher in the Houston Chronicle:
Want a healthier heart? Eat a steak