Turkey with bacon gravy
- 12 lbs 5.5 kg whole turkey
- 1 lb 450 g cherry tomatoes
- fine grain sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup (52⁄3 oz.) 240 ml (160 g) red onion, dicedred onions, diced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1½ oz.) 1 (40 g) large celery stalk, dicedlarge celery stalks, diced
- 4 tsp 4 tsp fresh thyme, four small sprigs
- 8 oz. 230 g bacon (10 slices, diced)
- 8 tbsp 8 tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 2 lemon, the juicelemons, the juice
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp guar gum (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey.
- Pat the turkey dry and season the outside and inside with salt and pepper.
- Place cherry tomatoes inside the cavity along with onions, celery, garlic and thyme.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Put the turkey on a rack set in a large roasting pan and tuck the wings under the body.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, for 7-8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Add the ghee or butter to the skillet with the drippings and stir until melted, then pour into a bowl and stir in the lemon juice. Rub mixture all over the turkey.
- Place into oven for 30 minutes. After every 30 minutes, baste the turkey with the drippings. Roast for about 3 hours or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165°F (74°C).
- Remove from oven onto a serving tray to rest for at least 25 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, pour the drippings into a saucepan. Whisk in the guar gum to thicken, after 5 minutes whisk add a touch more if you want a thicker gravy. Then add the reserved bacon for one amazing gravy.