The keto bread
- ¾ cup 200 ml (100 g) almond flour
- 31⁄3 tbsp 31⁄3 tbsp (25 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 11⁄3 tsp 11⁄3 tsp (6 g) baking powder
- 2⁄3 tsp 2⁄3 tsp sea salt
- 11⁄3 tsp 11⁄3 tsp cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup 150 ml boiling water
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 11⁄3 tbsp 11⁄3 tbsp (12 g) sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- Moisten hands and make 6 pieces of the dough. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake on lower rack in the oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They're done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
- Serve with butter and toppings of your choice.
Get moreStart free trial
Can I substitute ingredients?
In all baking, and especially in low-carb baking, the ingredients and amounts used are important. The eggs and ground psyllium husk are hard to replace in this recipe.
If you don't like almond flour or if you have an allergy, you can make this recipe with coconut flour instead. Substitute the amount of almond flour for a third as much of coconut flour and double the number of egg whites.
For a different look and some crunch, sprinkle seeds on the buns before you pop them into the oven – poppy seeds, sesame seeds or why not some salt flakes and herbs?
Flavor your bread with your favorite seasoning to make them perfect for what ever you're serving them with. You can use garlic powder, crushed caraway seeds or your homemade bread seasoning.