Roasted fennel and snow pea salad
- 1 lb 450 g fresh fennel
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (20 g) sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 5 oz. 150 g snow peas
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (225°C).
- Cut the fennel into small wedges. Arrange in a baking dish. Drizzle olive oil on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice and save for something else. Cut the lemon rind into thin wedges and place around the fennel (oven-baked lemon gives a lovely flavor but you don't have to eat them if you don't like to).
- Bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes or until the fennel has turned a nice golden color.
- While the fennel is baking, place the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan and toast over medium heat for a few minutes until browned but not burnt.
- Mix the roasted fennel with raw shredded snow peas and the dry toasted pumpkin seeds. Plate and serve with fish, chicken or meat.
Save the fennel stalks and fronds after you cut them. The stalks are terrific in soup stocks, and you can eat the fronds raw. Enjoy!