- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp chipotle powder or chili powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 2 lbs 900 g boneless chicken thighs
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade directly in the slow cooker and combine. Add the chicken and stir. Set the slow cooker on high heat for 3 hours or low heat for 5 hours.
- When the chicken is ready, pull apart the meat with two forks into small stringy strips in the slow cooker and stir to mix with the cooking juices.
- Serve with finely chopped scallions, avocado, fresh cilantro, lettuce and a generous dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream.
Recommended special equipment
- Slow cooker or a heavy-bottomed pot
Can I make pulled chicken without a slow cooker?
If you don't have a slow cooker you can use a spacious heavy-bottomed pot. Mix the marinade, add the chicken and combine well so the meat is covered. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium-high. The chicken should simmer for 1.5-2 hours with the lid on. Flip the chicken fillets halfway through and further lower the heat. Add water if needed.