Keto chicken with lemon and butter
- 4½ lbs 2 kg chicken whole
- salt and pepper
- 3 tsp 3 tsp barbecue seasoning dry rub
- 7½ oz. 225 g butter sliced
- 1½ 1½ lemon, cut into wedgeslemons, cut into wedges
- 3 3 yellow onion cut into wedgesyellow onions cut into wedges
- 2⁄5 cup 100 ml water
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp butter for greasing the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a deep baking dish with butter.
- Prepare the chicken by drying it thoroughly with paper towels. Season the entire chicken with salt and pepper, including the cavity. Don't skimp on the salt! Next rub the outside of the chicken with the barbecue seasoning, and then place it in the baking dish.
- Surround the chicken with the onion and lemon wedges, and then evenly place the butter slices on top of the chicken.
- Move the baking dish to the lower oven rack, and bake for 1½ hours or more, depending on the size of the chicken. Frequently baste the chicken with drippings, and if necessary, add water. If testing the chicken for readiness with a kitchen thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the thigh, avoiding the bone. The chicken is ready when the temperature reads 165°F (75°C).
If you want a stronger lemon taste you can put a piece of lemon inside the chicken. Save the drippings and make a sauce if you want. If giblets were a part of the chicken when you bought it, they should not be thrown away. Place them around the chicken, it gives flavor to the pan juices. You don’t have to eat them if you don’t want to. Garnish this amazing chicken with fresh lemon for even more visual appeal!