Low-carb chocolate mousse
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2 egg yolkegg yolks
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 3 oz. 75 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 80% cocoa solids
- Break or chop the chocolate into small pieces. Melt in the microwave (20-second intervals, stirring in between) or using a double boiler. Set aside at room temperature to cool.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks. Add vanilla towards the end.
- Mix egg yolks with salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg yolks and mix to a smooth batter.
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of whipped cream to the chocolate mix and stir to losen it a bit. Add the remaining cream and fold it through.
- Divide the batter into ramekins or serving glasses of your choice. Place in the fridge and let chill for at least 2 hours. Serve as is, or with fresh berries.
Plain chocolate mousse is amazing. So enjoy it. But if you seek variety, go ahead and flavor your mousse with licorice powder, orange zest, peppermint. If you don't mind alcohol in your cooking, try dark rum, bourbon or whiskey. All flavorings should be mixed with the eggs before combining with the cream.