Italian keto meatballs with mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground turkey
- ¾ cup (2 oz.) 180 ml (60 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp dried basil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1¾ cups (1 lb) 425 ml (425 g) canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 7 oz. (6½ cups) 200 g (1.6 liters) fresh spinach
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- 5 oz. (1¼ cups) 140 g (300 ml)
- salt and pepper
- Place ground beef, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and spices in a bowl and blend thoroughly. Form the mixture into meatballs, about 1 oz (30 grams) each. It helps to keep your hands wet while forming the balls.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the meatballs until they're golden brown on all sides.
- Lower the heat and add the canned tomatoes. Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley and stir. You can prepare the dish up to this point for freezing.
- Melt the butter in a separate frying pan and fry the spinach for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the spinach to the meatballs, and stir to combine.
- Serve with mozzarella cheese on top, torn into bite-sized pieces.
Like it hot-hot-hot? Swap out half the ground beef with spicy Italian sausage. Add red pepper flakes, as needed.