Keto hard nougat (Turrón)
- 1 cup 225 ml macadamia nuts or almonds
- 1 cup 225 ml (175 g) erythritol
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp water
- 1 1 large egg whitelarge egg whites
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (100°C).
- Line a small pan, about 8x6 inches (20 x 15 cm), with parchment paper.
- Put the macadamia nuts in a skillet and heat over medium heat until golden and toasted. Remove from the heat and add them to the loaf pan.
- In a small sauce pot, combine the erythritol and water. Stir occasionally while it heats over medium heat until the mix is completely fluid, translucent and comes to a simmer, this will take about 20 minutes.
- While the syrup comes to a simmer quickly beat the egg white and salt together until it’s white and foamy, almost forming soft peaks.
- While you continue to whisk the eggs, slowly pour in the syrup until fully combined.
- Transfer the egg mix back to the sauce pot and keep stirring with a spatula as you heat over low heat until the egg and syrup mix is smooth and sticky, about 30 minutes.
- Pour this mix over the macadamia nuts and smooth it out.
- Place the loaf pan in the oven for 2 hours. This is to dry the mix so the candy becomes dry.
- Once it is done, remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before unmolding.
- Slice or crack into pieces. Store wrapped in paper at room temperature in a cool dry place.