Keto harvest pumpkin and sausage soup
- 1½ lbs 650 g fresh sausage
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml minced red onionminced red onions
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml diced red bell pepperdiced red bell peppers
- 1 1 minced garlic cloveminced garlic cloves
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp rubbed dried sage
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground dried thyme
- ½ tsp ½ tsp red chili pepper flakesred chili peppers flakes (optional)
- ½ cup 125 ml pumpkin puree
- 2 cups 475 ml chicken broth
- ½ cup 125 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp salted butter
- Use a large skillet to brown the sausage, onion, and pepper on medium high heat.
- When pork is thoroughly cooked and the onions and pepper are browned (about 10 to 15 minutes), sprinkle in the seasonings and stir to mix.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, and cream. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
- Add the butter, stir well, and serve warm.
If you want to make this soup dairy-free, just use coconut cream instead of the heavy cream and skip the butter.
You can also make this a more hearty meal by browning 1 cup of sliced mushrooms with the sausage, onion, and pepper and adding it to the soup.
Also, don’t skimp on the time it takes to brown the sausage and veggies well. Getting them richly browned adds a lot of flavor to the finished soup.
If you avoid eating pork, you can substitute an equal amount of shredded chicken thighs for the ground pork.
While I don’t drain the fat from the sausage, some people prefer to do so. Whether to drain the fat or not often depends on how much fat is generated from the sausage and personal preference.