Experienced and driven WordPress engineer
Diet Doctor was founded in 2007 by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, who was inspired to help people eat better and live a healthier life. Beginning as a simple blog, we are now in 2019 the global leader in our niche, with more than 30 full time co-workers around the world. Most of us work from our central Stockholm office.
What you may be surprised to know is that Diet Doctor is fully self-funded, and we have never taken VC money – pretty unique for a fast-growing startup that is doubling in size every year. So we are fully in control of our own destiny. Apart from competitive salaries and benefits, this allows us to offer all employees to buy a stake in the company on a regular basis. And these are real shares – no funky options.
The IT team that you will join is small but growing steadily. We’re focused on adding team members in a smart way, taking the time to find the right people. And since we’re a small group it also implies that you will be given a lot of responsibility – and have an equally strong voice in both what we do and how we do it.
- Global website in three languages (English, Spanish, Swedish)
- 500k daily visits, more than doubling our traffic year over year
- Top Google ranking for our segment
- iOS app (released in January 2019); Android app coming soon
Who you are
- You have a lot of experience working in a fast-moving team and continuously delivering quality tested code
- You are a pragmatic doer with a focus on quality
- You are self-going and want to take on lots of responsibility
- Finally, you are someone who wants to actually contribute to make the world better.
What you’ll do
- You will design and develop our WordPress stack, as part of the site team
- You will help build our infrastructure to be faster, more stable, and more modern
- You will support our primary mission – to deliver valuable content and services to our members to help them improve their health
- WordPress (PHP/MySQL)
- GraphQL API
- Microservices built with Go & Kubernetes/Docker
- Deployed on Amazon’s AWS cloud
- Very good understanding of the full WordPress stack
- Having contributed to the core WordPress projects is a strong plus
- 5+ years PHP development experience
- TDD or other testing methodologies – we love tests! :)
- Bonus: React or similar frameworks, and an interest in UX/interaction design
- Bonus: Experience with other programming languages and systems is a clear bonus
We have a strong commitment to building our team for the long-term, with full-time employees, so we are not looking for freelancers or consultants at this time.
You will be working primarily from our Stockholm office at Vasagatan 40 (close to the central station). Do you currently live somewhere else but speak excellent English? For exceptional candidates we’ll help with moving here and finding a place to live.
Timing not perfect? Reach out anyway – we’ll wait for the right person.
To apply, email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Personal letter about why you’re perfect for this job, and why you would like to work at Diet Doctor. (Max one page)
- CV with two or more contactable references, and why you chose each of them
- Please include links to projects you have been involved with if you can (especially Open Source)
- Salary range suggestion
We are looking forward to your application!