Driven and product-focused backend engineer
Diet Doctor was founded in 2007 by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, who was inspired to help people eat better and live a healthier life. Beginning as a simple blog, we are now in 2019 the global leader in our niche, with more than 30 full-time co-workers around the world. Most of us work from our central Stockholm office.
What you may be surprised to know is that Diet Doctor is fully self-funded, and we have never taken VC money – pretty unique for a fast-growing startup that is more than doubling in size every year. This makes us fully in control of our own destiny, and not beholden to outside influence. Apart from competitive salaries and benefits, this allows us to offer all employees to buy a stake in the company regularly.
The Engineering team that you will join is small but growing steadily. We are taking our time to find the right people, and as we’re still less than 10 people it also implies that you will be given a lot of responsibility – and have an equally strong voice in both what we do and how we do it.
Read more about Diet Doctor and our values here.
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to put your best design ideas forward and refine the way our services work, look, and feel to our customers.
- The opportunity to get into the company early on, helping us evolve our products and services ecosystem at a moment when the company is growing very fast (> 150% year over year) but still is small enough for you to make a deep personal impact.
- Shape your own role as we grow together and our needs evolve.
- Own a meaningful part of the company that you put your best work into, through our direct shares offering to employees that occur on a regular basis.
- Many interesting problems to solve, and future products & services to be designed and built – all on a global scale and with meaningful impact on people’s lives.
- The largest low-carb site in the world.
- 500k daily visits, more than doubling our traffic year over year.
- Top Google ranking for our segment.
- Global presence (English, Spanish, Swedish and more coming).
- iOS app (released in January 2019); Android app coming soon.
Our tech stack
- Microservices built mainly in Go & run on Kubernetes/Docker.
- GraphQL API for external clients (including our iOS app).
- CMS based on WordPress (PHP/MySQL).
- Deployed on Amazon’s AWS cloud.
Who you are
- You have a passion for creating beautiful code, with a focus on readability and maintainability.
- You are a systems thinker that can see a solution as part of a larger whole.
- You have a lot of experience working as part of a fast-moving team, delivering quality code on time.
- You are a self-going and pragmatic doer who enjoys taking responsibility.
- Finally, you are someone who wants to contribute to truly make the world a better place.
What you’ll do
- You will develop and deploy backend cloud services and tools to support our current and future products.
- You will help maintain and increase the reliability and scalability of our backend infrastructure, and assist in its architecture.
- You will contribute to building our team’s knowledge of different technologies, best practices, and testing methodologies.
- You will help expand and sharpen our test suite, and CI & deployment tooling, to increase our velocity while safely bringing new and production-ready features to market.
- You will support our primary mission – delivering meaningful content and services to our users, to help them improve their health.
- Deep knowledge and experience building scalable backend services for the cloud.
- 5+ years of Go development experience.
- Some experience in frontend development and/or WordPress is a big plus.
- Having worked with TDD or similar testing methodologies is highly valued – we love tests! :)
- Previous contribution to open source software projects and the community is highly valued.
We strive to build our Engineering team with dedicated full-time employees, so we are currently not looking for freelancers or consultants.
You will be working primarily from our Stockholm office, at Vasagatan 40. Do you currently live somewhere else but speak excellent English? For exceptional candidates we will help with your move here, and also finding a place to live.
Timing not perfect? Reach out anyway – we’ll wait for the right person.
Apply now, deadline March 18th
To apply, email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Personal letter about why you’re right for this job, and why you would like to work at Diet Doctor. Please keep it to a single page.
- Links to projects you have been involved with are highly encouraged (please describe your individual involvement).
- Salary range suggestion
We are looking forward to your application!