Can a safe dietary supplement dramatically prolong life for people with heart failure? Yes, if we can believe the results from a new study.
The study enrolled people with severe heart failure. This is a condition where the heart can barely pump blood around the body any more. This, for example, after previous heart attacks have damaged the heart (a broken heart, literally). People with severe heart failure run a large risk of dying within a few years.
The study tested the dietary supplement coenzyme Q10 in heart failure. CoQ10 is an endogenous cholesterol-like substance involved in energy production in the cells. Particularly the heart contains a lot of Q10, probably because it takes so much energy to constantly pump blood. Q10 is also found in the food that we eat, particularly in meat and fish.
Cholesterol-lowering drugs, known as statins, are used by almost all people with heart disease. Interestingly enough, statins also reduce the production of the cholesterol-like substance Q10, and deficiency in Q10 has been shown to worsen the prognosis in heart failure. So what happens if you supplement with the substance?
Half of the study’s 420 participants with severe heart failure received supplementation with 300 mg CoQ10 daily for two years. The other half received a placebo. What do you think happened? Continue Reading →
- 1My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF139
- 2Reversing Diabetes After a Visit to the Emergency Room37
- 3No More Than Seven Months?34
- 4“I Was Wrong, We Should Be Feasting on Fat”29
- 5Scientists: A Low-Carbohydrate Diet Should Be First Approach for Diabetics!26
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 3My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF139
- 4Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?117
- 5Will LCHF Work Long-Term? Say, After Four Years?117
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Scientists: A Low-Carbohydrate Diet Should Be First Approach for Diabetics!
- Crash Course in Blood Pressure
- Crash Course in Blood Pressure – New Page!
- Howard Lee Harkness: We missed you in May.…
- No More Than Seven Months?
- Losing Nearly 50 lbs Since November With LCHF
- Usman shaikh: Congrats Fatima U…
- More comments