Can a safe dietary supplement dramatically prolong life for people with heart failure? Yes, if we can believe the results from a new study.
The study enrolled people with severe heart failure. This is a condition where the heart can barely pump blood around the body any more. This, for example, after previous heart attacks have damaged the heart (a broken heart, literally). People with severe heart failure run a large risk of dying within a few years.
The study tested the dietary supplement coenzyme Q10 in heart failure. CoQ10 is an endogenous cholesterol-like substance involved in energy production in the cells. Particularly the heart contains a lot of Q10, probably because it takes so much energy to constantly pump blood. Q10 is also found in the food that we eat, particularly in meat and fish.
Cholesterol-lowering drugs, known as statins, are used by almost all people with heart disease. Interestingly enough, statins also reduce the production of the cholesterol-like substance Q10, and deficiency in Q10 has been shown to worsen the prognosis in heart failure. So what happens if you supplement with the substance?
Half of the study’s 420 participants with severe heart failure received supplementation with 300 mg CoQ10 daily for two years. The other half received a placebo. What do you think happened? Continue Reading →
- 1Is There a Safe Amount of Sugar?92
- 2Should Everyone Be Taking Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs?82
- 3Long-Term Study on the Paleo Diet: The Results53
- 4New Study: Is Today’s Wheat Bad for You?49
- 5Is It Dangerous to Eat Meat Before Age 65?46
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!192
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?168
- 4Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- 5Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview140
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Lose Weight by Achieving Optimal Ketosis
- Denise White: Hello, I want to start…
- LCHF for Beginners
- Delilah: Hi All, I tried LCHF and…
- Coming Up Next Week: Obesity Conference in Philadelphia!
- Welldun: Doc are you going on…
- Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance
- Peter: Don't give up on ketonic…
- Losing Nearly 50 lbs Since November With LCHF
- Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview
- Chris: The more I read, and…
- WHO Recommends Cutting Sugar Intake in Half!
- Boundless: > American Diabetes Association Embraces…
- One Hundred Weight Loss Blogs
- Zahara: Your article is amazing to…
- Is It Dangerous to Eat Meat Before Age 65?
- Murray: There are cultures in which…
- How to Lose Weight
- mıchel: it may be useful to…
- More comments