Can a safe dietary supplement dramatically prolong life for people with heart failure? Yes, if we can believe the results from a new study.
The study enrolled people with severe heart failure. This is a condition where the heart can barely pump blood around the body any more. This, for example, after previous heart attacks have damaged the heart (a broken heart, literally). People with severe heart failure run a large risk of dying within a few years.
The study tested the dietary supplement coenzyme Q10 in heart failure. CoQ10 is an endogenous cholesterol-like substance involved in energy production in the cells. Particularly the heart contains a lot of Q10, probably because it takes so much energy to constantly pump blood. Q10 is also found in the food that we eat, particularly in meat and fish.
Cholesterol-lowering drugs, known as statins, are used by almost all people with heart disease. Interestingly enough, statins also reduce the production of the cholesterol-like substance Q10, and deficiency in Q10 has been shown to worsen the prognosis in heart failure. So what happens if you supplement with the substance?
Half of the study’s 420 participants with severe heart failure received supplementation with 300 mg CoQ10 daily for two years. The other half received a placebo. What do you think happened? Continue Reading →
- 1Dinner at Diet Doctor’s51
- 2The Result of My Diabetes Lunch29
- 3“Your Best Carbohydrate Level Is the One You’re Happiest on Without Weight Gain”28
- 4Another Reason to be Skeptical of Artificial Sweeteners28
- 5A Low-Carb Diet Improves Quality of Life for Diabetics22
- 1Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 2My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 3New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!129
- 4Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?125
- 5Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal109
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- "Your Best Carbohydrate Level Is the One You're Happiest on Without Weight Gain"
- LCHF for Beginners
- "Giant Leap to Type 1-Diabetes Cure"
- George Harding: A question more than a…
- New Solid Studies: The Advice on Gluten for Infants Needs to Be Changed!
- Lunch at the Diabetes Conference
- TrondO: Hey this lunch is vegan.…
- One Hundred Weight Loss Blogs
- makeitcountnutrition: That is really interesting information…
- More comments