|All posts (225)||Gary Taubes (22)||Myths about LCHF (6)|
|Calorie Counting (24)||Gut bacteria (1)||NuSI (2)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Coca Cola (22)||Health Scares (4)||Robert Lustig (27)|
|Confused thinking (10)||History of Low Carb Diets (1)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Intermittent fasting (6)||The Food Revolution (12)|
|Drugs (5)||Ketone Measuring (11)||The Swedish Revolution (46)|
|Evolution (1)||Living longer (3)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Lobbyism (10)|
Why are more and more people fat? The conventional view that it’s all about calories (eat less, run more) remains unproven and it doesn’t work very well.
Gary Taubes and Peter Attia are on a quest for the answer to the question. Is it only about calories or is it just as much about the quality of the calories? Is it about carbohydrates and their hormonal effects?
The sad truth is that we don’t know with certainty yet. At least not with enough certainty, so that all of those who are able to rethink, would be willing to accept the evidence. To really find the answer will be expensive, very expensive. This requires bigger and more carefully done studies than what have been done so far.
Fortunately, Taube’s and Attia’s non-profit organization NuSI has already acquired $40 million in donations and is trying to get an extra $190 million to finance the studies needed. Three big studies are already going on.
Read this excellent article about the quest for answers:
Could the recently launched Nutrition Science Initiative – aka the “Manhattan Project of Nutrition” – be the solution to the obesity epidemic?
It has certainly gotten a lot of attention online. Most popular bloggers seem to be in favor of it while others are (predictably) more or less sceptical. Here are a few voices:
Personally I’m very much in favor of NuSI and I think it may accomplish great things. But instead of making the case for it myself I’ll do something better. I’ll let Peter Attia, the President of NuSI, explain this “Manhattan Project”. Nobody does it better.
- 1Baby Sister50
- 2More Salt Is OK According to New Study33
- 3“The Sugar Cravings Are Gone Now”27
- 4“LCHF Saved Me!”25
- 5Coca-Cola Admits Its Big Fat Problem22
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 3My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 4Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?122
- 5Will LCHF Work Long-Term? Say, After Four Years?117
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- "The Stupendous Splendiferous ButterUp"
- LCHF for Beginners
- Why Are We Fat? The Multimillion-Dollar Scientific Quest to Find Out
- The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise?
- Deba: Gee, that looks like a…
- Questions and answers about LCHF
- Ash Simmonds: LCHF has long needed a…
- More comments