|All posts (195)||Gary Taubes (19)||NuSI (1)|
|Calorie Counting (21)||Gut bacteria (1)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (2)||Robert Lustig (24)|
|Coca Cola (19)||Health Scares (3)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Confused thinking (10)||Intermittent fasting (2)||The Food Revolution (4)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Ketone Measuring (9)||The Swedish Revolution (45)|
|Drugs (4)||Living longer (2)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Evolution (1)||Lobbyism (10)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Myths about LCHF (3)|
Do the bacteria you have in your gut affect your health and weight? The answer is probably yes, but it remains to be shown how much and in what way.
In recent years technological advances have made it easier to do research on the bacteria that comprise our gut flora. Increasingly, statistical correlations are found between certain types of bacteria and diseases, such as obesity and diabetes.
The problem is very common. Scientists and journalists are quick to conclude that statistical correlations imply causation. This is the way our brains work, they fabricate a plausible story in order to explain the findings and this often leads us the wrong way. Finding the truth is more complicated.
Do certain bacteria cause obesity, or does a certain lifestyle (for example junk food full of sugar) increase body weight AND affect what bacteria you have in your gut? This question is harder to answer.
Is it possible to cure disease or control your weight long-term by adding good bacteria (probiotics) to the gut? This largely remains to be proven. At the moment there are more questions than answers.
- 1More Blood Sugar, More Dementia!50
- 2If Certain Foods Make You Sick, Just Take More Medicine48
- 3New Page: Diabetes – How to Normalize Your Blood Sugar40
- 4School Refuses to Serve Food that Keeps Student Healthy40
- 5“Butter Better than Vegetable Oils”35
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!192
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?159
- 4Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- 5Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview123
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Losing 92 lbs and a Sugar Addiction with LCHF
- The Real Cause of Heart Disease
- bill owen: I would like to hear…
- Questions and answers about LCHF
- Weight Watchers' New Sweet Campaign
- New Study: A Low-Carb Diet and Intermittent Fasting Beneficial for Diabetics!
- FrankG: Finally... a good use for…
- More comments