|All posts (207)||Gary Taubes (20)||NuSI (1)|
|Calorie Counting (22)||Gut bacteria (1)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Robert Lustig (25)|
|Coca Cola (19)||Health Scares (4)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Confused thinking (10)||Intermittent fasting (6)||The Food Revolution (6)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Ketone Measuring (9)||The Swedish Revolution (45)|
|Drugs (4)||Living longer (3)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Evolution (1)||Lobbyism (10)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Myths about LCHF (5)|
Do the bacteria you have in your gut affect your health and weight? The answer is probably yes, but it remains to be shown how much and in what way.
In recent years technological advances have made it easier to do research on the bacteria that comprise our gut flora. Increasingly, statistical correlations are found between certain types of bacteria and diseases, such as obesity and diabetes.
The problem is very common. Scientists and journalists are quick to conclude that statistical correlations imply causation. This is the way our brains work, they fabricate a plausible story in order to explain the findings and this often leads us the wrong way. Finding the truth is more complicated.
Do certain bacteria cause obesity, or does a certain lifestyle (for example junk food full of sugar) increase body weight AND affect what bacteria you have in your gut? This question is harder to answer.
Is it possible to cure disease or control your weight long-term by adding good bacteria (probiotics) to the gut? This largely remains to be proven. At the moment there are more questions than answers.
- 1Is There a Safe Amount of Sugar?92
- 2Should Everyone Be Taking Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs?82
- 3Long-Term Study on the Paleo Diet: The Results53
- 4New Study: Is Today’s Wheat Bad for You?49
- 5Is It Dangerous to Eat Meat Before Age 65?46
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!192
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?168
- 4Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- 5Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview140
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Lose Weight by Achieving Optimal Ketosis
- mmathapelo: Please help me I need…
- Swedish Tabloid Warns of "Low Carb Cancer"
- Steve Grover: I wouldn't trust ANY study…
- Losing Nearly 50 lbs Since November With LCHF
- Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal
- How Losing Weight With LCHF Helps Save Children's Lives in Amazonas
- Angela Carter: Cate has been my inspiration…
- LCHF for Beginners
- Sandra: Hi All,Thanks for all the…
- More comments