|All posts (220)||Gary Taubes (21)||Myths about LCHF (5)|
|Calorie Counting (24)||Gut bacteria (1)||NuSI (1)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Coca Cola (21)||Health Scares (4)||Robert Lustig (26)|
|Confused thinking (10)||History of Low Carb Diets (1)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Intermittent fasting (6)||The Food Revolution (12)|
|Drugs (4)||Ketone Measuring (11)||The Swedish Revolution (46)|
|Evolution (1)||Living longer (3)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Lobbyism (10)|
Do the bacteria you have in your gut affect your health and weight? The answer is probably yes, but it remains to be shown how much and in what way.
In recent years technological advances have made it easier to do research on the bacteria that comprise our gut flora. Increasingly, statistical correlations are found between certain types of bacteria and diseases, such as obesity and diabetes.
The problem is very common. Scientists and journalists are quick to conclude that statistical correlations imply causation. This is the way our brains work, they fabricate a plausible story in order to explain the findings and this often leads us the wrong way. Finding the truth is more complicated.
Do certain bacteria cause obesity, or does a certain lifestyle (for example junk food full of sugar) increase body weight AND affect what bacteria you have in your gut? This question is harder to answer.
Is it possible to cure disease or control your weight long-term by adding good bacteria (probiotics) to the gut? This largely remains to be proven. At the moment there are more questions than answers.
- 1“Even If the Scale Isn’t Changing, the Body Is”62
- 2My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF61
- 3Reversing Diabetes After a Visit to the Emergency Room37
- 4Triathlon on LCHF24
- 5Across the Pacific Ocean Without Sugar or Other Junk Carbohydrates22
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 3Will LCHF Work Long-Term? Say, After Four Years?117
- 4Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?117
- 5Averaged Female Faces Across Europe115
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- The Swedish Diet Revolution and the Resulting Hysteria
- My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF
- This Year's Seafood Platter
- "I Was Wrong, We Should Be Feasting on Fat"
- LCHF for Beginners
- Tracey: I decided to check myself…
- The World's Most Persistent Fad Diet
- Joey B: Was probably the bread, bagels,…
- More comments