|All posts (236)||Gary Taubes (24)||Myths about LCHF (6)|
|Calorie Counting (25)||Gut bacteria (1)||NuSI (2)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Coca Cola (25)||Health Scares (4)||Robert Lustig (28)|
|Confused thinking (10)||History of Low Carb Diets (1)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Intermittent fasting (6)||The Food Revolution (16)|
|Drugs (5)||Ketone Measuring (11)||The Swedish Revolution (47)|
|Evolution (1)||Living longer (4)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Lobbyism (11)|
Do the bacteria you have in your gut affect your health and weight? The answer is probably yes, but it remains to be shown how much and in what way.
In recent years technological advances have made it easier to do research on the bacteria that comprise our gut flora. Increasingly, statistical correlations are found between certain types of bacteria and diseases, such as obesity and diabetes.
The problem is very common. Scientists and journalists are quick to conclude that statistical correlations imply causation. This is the way our brains work, they fabricate a plausible story in order to explain the findings and this often leads us the wrong way. Finding the truth is more complicated.
Do certain bacteria cause obesity, or does a certain lifestyle (for example junk food full of sugar) increase body weight AND affect what bacteria you have in your gut? This question is harder to answer.
Is it possible to cure disease or control your weight long-term by adding good bacteria (probiotics) to the gut? This largely remains to be proven. At the moment there are more questions than answers.
- 1Scientists Against Sugar55
- 2LCHF Coffee Break at the Castle37
- 3LCHF on Australia’s Biggest Science Show!33
- 4Where Are You On The Global Fat Scale?29
- 5“Our Diabetes Clinic Wouldn’t Listen, But Reported Me to the Authorities”29
- 1My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 2New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!131
- 3Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?125
- 4Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal109
- 5Is There a Safe Amount of Sugar?96
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Before and After One Month On Coca Cola
- LCHF for Beginners
- Colette: Ho my mum has acid…
- Coca Cola-Loving Mexico Now Most Obese Nation on Earth
- Mike Scott: I am 72 and know…
- Monique's Delicious Holiday Treats
- New Ad to Reduce Soda Drinking – Using Coca-Cola's Own Slogan
- Big Fat Surprise Among the Best Books of the Year
- Mandi Kraft: I also had the deja…
- More comments