|All posts (240)||Gary Taubes (24)||Myths about LCHF (6)|
|Calorie Counting (25)||Gut bacteria (1)||NuSI (2)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Coca Cola (26)||Health Scares (4)||Professor Tim Noakes (1)|
|Confused thinking (10)||History of Low Carb Diets (1)||Robert Lustig (28)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Intermittent fasting (6)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Drugs (5)||Ketone Measuring (11)||The Food Revolution (19)|
|Evolution (1)||Living longer (4)||The Swedish Revolution (47)|
|Failed low fat diets (25)||Lobbyism (11)||Tom Naughton (4)|
It seems that the fear of cholesterol is melting away. And the patents on the massively profitable cholesterol-lowering medications are starting to expire. Coincidence? We may never know.
A couple of days ago Dr Oz had a show (“the most important show that I’ve ever had on cholesterol”) on why “Everything you know about cholesterol is wrong”. He called it a “game changer”.
The message was probably familiar to many well-educated readers. Total cholesterol is an almost meaningless number. To get valuable information from cholesterol numbers means you have to look at them more closely: at HDL, LDL (including particle size) and triglycerides. If we do that the traditional message to avoid fat and cholesterol falls apart – it might lower your cholesterol somewhat but turn what you have into MORE harmful cholesterol.
Eating a low carb high fat diet might raise your total cholesterol a tiny amount (on average) but it raises your good HDL cholesterol (good for your health), lowers your triglycerides (good for your health) and increases the size of your LDL particles (good for your health!).
Now even Dr Oz seems to get it. The fear of cholesterol is melting away.
- 1Celebrity Chef: “Sugar Can Destroy Lives and Should be Taxed Like Tobacco”49
- 2Shocking New Implantable Weight-Loss Device41
- 3Before the Obesity Epidemic38
- 4Reduced Soda Consumption Forces Coca-Cola to Cut Thousands of Jobs21
- 5World’s Biggest LCHF Health Summit Coming!20
- 1My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 2New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!131
- 3Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?125
- 4Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal109
- 5Is There a Safe Amount of Sugar?96
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Questions and answers about LCHF
- LCHF for Beginners
- What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?
- Celebrity Chef: "Sugar Can Destroy Lives and Should be Taxed Like Tobacco"
- bill: The link to the article…
- "This Has to Be the Easiest Weight Loss Ever"
- More comments