|All posts (228)||Gary Taubes (24)||Myths about LCHF (6)|
|Calorie Counting (25)||Gut bacteria (1)||NuSI (2)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (3)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Coca Cola (22)||Health Scares (4)||Robert Lustig (28)|
|Confused thinking (10)||History of Low Carb Diets (1)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Intermittent fasting (6)||The Food Revolution (13)|
|Drugs (5)||Ketone Measuring (11)||The Swedish Revolution (46)|
|Evolution (1)||Living longer (3)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Lobbyism (10)|
It seems that the fear of cholesterol is melting away. And the patents on the massively profitable cholesterol-lowering medications are starting to expire. Coincidence? We may never know.
A couple of days ago Dr Oz had a show (“the most important show that I’ve ever had on cholesterol”) on why “Everything you know about cholesterol is wrong”. He called it a “game changer”.
The message was probably familiar to many well-educated readers. Total cholesterol is an almost meaningless number. To get valuable information from cholesterol numbers means you have to look at them more closely: at HDL, LDL (including particle size) and triglycerides. If we do that the traditional message to avoid fat and cholesterol falls apart – it might lower your cholesterol somewhat but turn what you have into MORE harmful cholesterol.
Eating a low carb high fat diet might raise your total cholesterol a tiny amount (on average) but it raises your good HDL cholesterol (good for your health), lowers your triglycerides (good for your health) and increases the size of your LDL particles (good for your health!).
Now even Dr Oz seems to get it. The fear of cholesterol is melting away.
- 1Dinner at Diet Doctor’s51
- 2The Result of My Diabetes Lunch29
- 3“Your Best Carbohydrate Level Is the One You’re Happiest on Without Weight Gain”28
- 4Another Reason to be Skeptical of Artificial Sweeteners28
- 5A Low-Carb Diet Improves Quality of Life for Diabetics22
- 1Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 2My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 3New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!129
- 4Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?125
- 5Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal109
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- "Your Best Carbohydrate Level Is the One You're Happiest on Without Weight Gain"
- LCHF for Beginners
- "Giant Leap to Type 1-Diabetes Cure"
- George Harding: A question more than a…
- New Solid Studies: The Advice on Gluten for Infants Needs to Be Changed!
- Lunch at the Diabetes Conference
- TrondO: Hey this lunch is vegan.…
- One Hundred Weight Loss Blogs
- makeitcountnutrition: That is really interesting information…
- More comments