|All posts (194)||Gary Taubes (19)||NuSI (1)|
|Calorie Counting (21)||Gut bacteria (1)||Potential LCHF problems (1)|
|Climate Change (1)||Health (2)||Robert Lustig (24)|
|Coca Cola (19)||Health Scares (3)||Stephan Guyenet (3)|
|Confused thinking (10)||Intermittent fasting (1)||The Food Revolution (4)|
|Dr Oz (1)||Ketone Measuring (9)||The Swedish Revolution (45)|
|Drugs (4)||Living longer (2)||Tom Naughton (4)|
|Evolution (1)||Lobbyism (10)|
|Failed low fat diets (24)||Myths about LCHF (3)|
It seems that the fear of cholesterol is melting away. And the patents on the massively profitable cholesterol-lowering medications are starting to expire. Coincidence? We may never know.
A couple of days ago Dr Oz had a show (“the most important show that I’ve ever had on cholesterol”) on why “Everything you know about cholesterol is wrong”. He called it a “game changer”.
The message was probably familiar to many well-educated readers. Total cholesterol is an almost meaningless number. To get valuable information from cholesterol numbers means you have to look at them more closely: at HDL, LDL (including particle size) and triglycerides. If we do that the traditional message to avoid fat and cholesterol falls apart – it might lower your cholesterol somewhat but turn what you have into MORE harmful cholesterol.
Eating a low carb high fat diet might raise your total cholesterol a tiny amount (on average) but it raises your good HDL cholesterol (good for your health), lowers your triglycerides (good for your health) and increases the size of your LDL particles (good for your health!).
Now even Dr Oz seems to get it. The fear of cholesterol is melting away.
- 1More Blood Sugar, More Dementia!50
- 2If Certain Foods Make You Sick, Just Take More Medicine46
- 3School Refuses to Serve Food that Keeps Student Healthy40
- 4New Page: Diabetes – How to Normalize Your Blood Sugar40
- 5Proven: Almost Anything Is Better with Bacon34
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!192
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?159
- 4It’s the Insulin, Stupid153
- 5Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Weight Watchers' New Sweet Campaign
- "Butter Better than Vegetable Oils"
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud
- Football Champions on a Low-Carb Diet
- murray: Adam, that is a helpful…
- How to Lose Weight
- Catherine: There were some great tips…
- Legendary Exercise Professor Embraces LCHF!
- More comments