|All posts (203)||Depression (4)||MS (2)|
|ADHD (6)||Diabetes (77)||Metabolic syndrome (5)|
|Addiction (19)||Digestive issues (11)||Migraine (3)|
|Allergies (4)||Eating Disorders (1)||PCOS / Fertility (12)|
|Bipolar disorder (1)||Gallbladder disease (1)||Parkinson's disease (2)|
|Cancer (12)||Heart Disease (22)||Sleeping disorders (6)|
|Caries/Crooked teeth (2)||High Blood Pressure (9)||Thyroid problems (2)|
|Cholesterol (19)||Infections (1)||epilepsy (4)|
|Dementia (7)||Liver disease (4)|
Can antibiotics make you fat? It’s an interesting idea:
Cows regularly get antibiotics in their feed as it helps them put on pounds. The cause may be that it disturbs the gut microbiota and makes the cows absorb more energy from the feed. Mice experience a similar fate when put on antibiotics, adding 10-15 percent of fat mass.
Now, humans aren’t cows or mice. But could we gain weight too by eating antibiotics? It’s still speculative, but it’s another reason not to use antibiotics unless it’t truly necessary. I added this tip to the others about medications on the How to lose weight-page.
What do you think?
Update: I was just told there’s a study showing significant weight gain in people being treated with antibiotics for stomach ulcers. Hard to know if it’s because of the antibiotics or a side effect of curing the ulcer though.
- 1Baby Sister44
- 2Scientists: A Low-Carbohydrate Diet Should Be First Approach for Diabetics!37
- 3No More Than Seven Months?35
- 4More Salt Is OK According to New Study33
- 5Low-Carb High-Fat Changed My Life!29
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 3My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 4Will LCHF Work Long-Term? Say, After Four Years?117
- 5Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?117
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- LCHF for Beginners
- LCHF Made Lindha Half the Woman She Used To Be
- How to Lose 88 Pounds in Seven Months With LCHF
- About Diet Doctor
- Zepp: If one is healty ones…
- Don't Forget Your Checkups on LCHF!
- Low-Carb High-Fat Changed My Life!
- Olivia: great story..loved it
- More comments