|All posts (211)||Dementia (7)||Infections (1)|
|ADHD (6)||Depression (4)||Liver disease (4)|
|Acne (1)||Diabetes (81)||MS (2)|
|Addiction (19)||Digestive issues (12)||Metabolic syndrome (5)|
|Allergies (4)||Eating Disorders (1)||Migraine (3)|
|Bipolar disorder (1)||Epilepsy (4)||PCOS / Fertility (12)|
|Cancer (12)||Gallbladder disease (1)||Parkinson's disease (2)|
|Caries/Crooked teeth (2)||Heart Disease (22)||Sleeping disorders (6)|
|Cholesterol (21)||High Blood Pressure (10)||Thyroid problems (2)|
Can antibiotics make you fat? It’s an interesting idea:
Cows regularly get antibiotics in their feed as it helps them put on pounds. The cause may be that it disturbs the gut microbiota and makes the cows absorb more energy from the feed. Mice experience a similar fate when put on antibiotics, adding 10-15 percent of fat mass.
Now, humans aren’t cows or mice. But could we gain weight too by eating antibiotics? It’s still speculative, but it’s another reason not to use antibiotics unless it’t truly necessary. I added this tip to the others about medications on the How to lose weight-page.
What do you think?
Update: I was just told there’s a study showing significant weight gain in people being treated with antibiotics for stomach ulcers. Hard to know if it’s because of the antibiotics or a side effect of curing the ulcer though.
- 1New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!128
- 2All Diets are Equally Good … Or Are They?76
- 3Fancy a Bug Bar?47
- 4Do You Want to Watch the Excellent Obesity Documentary FED UP?39
- 5Lunch at the Diabetes Conference37
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 3My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 4New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!128
- 5Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?124
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Do You Want to Watch the Excellent Obesity Documentary FED UP?
- The Result of My Diabetes Lunch
- Stephen: Ok, that's pretty cool. …
- Where's All the Research on Lifestyle and Diet?
- LCHF for Beginners
- A New Toy Measuring Blood Ketones
- All Diets are Equally Good ... Or Are They?
- Zepp: Well you are on the…
- More comments