|All posts (231)||Dementia (7)||Liver disease (4)|
|ADHD (6)||Depression (4)||MS (2)|
|Acne (1)||Diabetes (91)||Metabolic syndrome (5)|
|Addiction (21)||Digestive issues (12)||Migraine (3)|
|Allergies (8)||Eating Disorders (2)||PCOS / Fertility (12)|
|Arthritis (1)||Epilepsy (6)||Parkinson's disease (2)|
|Bipolar disorder (1)||Gallbladder disease (2)||Sleeping disorders (6)|
|Cancer (12)||Heart Disease (23)||Thyroid problems (2)|
|Caries/Crooked teeth (2)||High Blood Pressure (11)|
|Cholesterol (22)||Infections (1)|
Can antibiotics make you fat? It’s an interesting idea:
Cows regularly get antibiotics in their feed as it helps them put on pounds. The cause may be that it disturbs the gut microbiota and makes the cows absorb more energy from the feed. Mice experience a similar fate when put on antibiotics, adding 10-15 percent of fat mass.
Now, humans aren’t cows or mice. But could we gain weight too by eating antibiotics? It’s still speculative, but it’s another reason not to use antibiotics unless it’t truly necessary. I added this tip to the others about medications on the How to lose weight-page.
What do you think?
Update: I was just told there’s a study showing significant weight gain in people being treated with antibiotics for stomach ulcers. Hard to know if it’s because of the antibiotics or a side effect of curing the ulcer though.
- 1Celebrity Chef: “Sugar Can Destroy Lives and Should be Taxed Like Tobacco”49
- 2Shocking New Implantable Weight-Loss Device41
- 3Before the Obesity Epidemic39
- 4Reduced Soda Consumption Forces Coca-Cola to Cut Thousands of Jobs21
- 5World’s Biggest LCHF Health Summit Coming!20
- 1My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF142
- 2New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!131
- 3Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?125
- 4Discovering Airline Diabetic Meal109
- 5Is There a Safe Amount of Sugar?96
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Before the Obesity Epidemic
- Roxie: reminds me of my childhood…
- New Documentary on Allergies
- "This Has to Be the Easiest Weight Loss Ever"
- One Year on an LCHF Diet with Type 1 Diabetes
- Questions and answers about LCHF
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud
- Fishermans Enemy: People keep talking about the…
- More comments