|All posts (195)||Depression (4)||Metabolic syndrome (4)|
|ADHD (6)||Diabetes (74)||Migraine (3)|
|Addiction (18)||Digestive issues (11)||PCOS / Fertility (12)|
|Allergies (4)||Gallbladder disease (1)||Parkinson's disease (2)|
|Bipolar disorder (1)||Heart Disease (20)||Sleeping disorders (6)|
|Cancer (12)||High Blood Pressure (8)||Thyroid problems (2)|
|Caries/Crooked teeth (2)||Infections (1)||epilepsy (4)|
|Cholesterol (19)||Liver disease (3)|
|Dementia (6)||MS (2)|
Can antibiotics make you fat? It’s an interesting idea:
Cows regularly get antibiotics in their feed as it helps them put on pounds. The cause may be that it disturbs the gut microbiota and makes the cows absorb more energy from the feed. Mice experience a similar fate when put on antibiotics, adding 10-15 percent of fat mass.
Now, humans aren’t cows or mice. But could we gain weight too by eating antibiotics? It’s still speculative, but it’s another reason not to use antibiotics unless it’t truly necessary. I added this tip to the others about medications on the How to lose weight-page.
What do you think?
Update: I was just told there’s a study showing significant weight gain in people being treated with antibiotics for stomach ulcers. Hard to know if it’s because of the antibiotics or a side effect of curing the ulcer though.
- 1My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF139
- 2Reversing Diabetes After a Visit to the Emergency Room37
- 3No More Than Seven Months?32
- 4“I Was Wrong, We Should Be Feasting on Fat”29
- 5Triathlon on LCHF24
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!196
- 3My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF139
- 4Will LCHF Work Long-Term? Say, After Four Years?117
- 5Sugar vs Fat on BBC: Which is Worse?117
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- Crash Course in Blood Pressure
- François: Andreas, please check your graph…
- Scientists: A Low-Carbohydrate Diet Should Be First Approach for Diabetics!
- About Diet Doctor
- My Health Markers After Eight Years on LCHF
- No More Than Seven Months?
- Murray: Good observation but I would…
- More comments