|All posts (291)||Low Carb High Fat (67)||Salt (6)|
|Alcohol (5)||Meat (9)||Saturated fat (19)|
|Fake Low Carb Products (16)||Non-caloric sweeteners (4)||Sugar/fructose (72)|
|Food for Animals (4)||Omega 6 (4)||Vegetarian Diets (4)|
|Food for kids (27)||Paleo Diets (32)||Wheat (16)|
|Industrial food-like products (34)||Real food (7)|
Brazil is now getting new official dietary guidelines. And they are (almost) perfect!
Most countries have government agencies that needlessly chase percentages of natural saturated fat and recommend instead the use of low-fat products full of additives. Brazil now goes in a completely different direction: Just eat real food.
The health cake is catching on. A reader was inspired and made one for her daughter.
Here are the ingredients: Kid’s Birthday Party With No Added Sugar
Do you have pictures of great party foods to share? You’re welcome to post them on the Diet Doctor’s Facebook page.
What would an ingredient list for a natural food look like? James Kennedy, a chemistry teacher from Australia, has looked into this. Above is a list of the ingredients in an all-natural egg, including all the main chemical compounds.
Kennedy’s point is that “chemicals” are everywhere, nature is built with chemical substances. Therefore, our fear of food additives etc. isn’t necessarily reasonable. He has a point, except that the ingredient list for junk food would make up a whole book, if you were to list all the components of each ingredient.
However, the risk with industrially processed foods is not only that they consist of “chemical substances”. The problem with processed foods is that their compositions are new and contain…
- substances that previously barely existed in nature (like the artificial sweetener aspartame)
- excessive amounts of added substances that were previously rare (pure sugar, for example)
- too little of important substances that previously were more common (for example fiber)
- a clever combination of properties/substances that makes it extremely difficult to stop eating (addictive).
The problem is that while we humans are well adapted genetically to most of the foods we’ve eaten for millions of years, our bodies are not adapted to new industrial junk food. It’s an ongoing and increasingly risky experiment. Not only because the food contains “chemicals”, but because of its new chemical composition to which we’re not adapted.
Here are some more examples of natural products from Kennedy: Continue Reading →
Is food made out of wheat flour addictive? Does it result in weight gain and disease? That’s what Dr William Davis claims in his book Wheat Belly.
After spending a long time at (or close to) the top of the New York Times bestseller list Dr Davis was finally invited to the very popular The Dr Oz Show. Nobody likes whole grains more than Dr Oz, so kudos to him.
Dr Davis gave a great performance. And I mostly agree with him – apart from the claim that wheat affects the brain like heroin and makes us eat 440 calories more per day. That seems more sensation-seeking than scientific.
On the other hand wheat can certainly result in extreme blood sugar elevations, insulin spikes and fat storage. I also love Dr Davis’ analogy between whole grain flour and filtered cigarettes (just because something is less bad doesn’t mean it’s good). I often use that analogy myself. Hearing it on this whole grain-loving show was fantastic.
All in all a victory for low carb in America.
Here’s an egg from our neighbors during our summer vacation, from hens running around eating what they can find in nature.
Have you ever seen egg yolk this yellow?
Animals get sick when fed bread and snacks instead of their natural diets. Of course, the same goes for people.
Picture via GrassFedGirl.
Real Christmas food. Avoid the bread for bonus points.
I wish I wrote this: Feast Without Fear – on Real Food
“How much will we eat? As much as we want, no more, no less.”
That’s exactly the way I’m thinking, whether it’s Christmas time or not. Counting calories isn’t necessary when eating real food. Mind the quality and the quantity will take care of itself.
- 1A Calorie Is Not a Calorie – Not Even Close33
- 2Saturated Fat Completely Safe According to New Big Review of all Science!31
- 3The Problem Is the Soda. Not the Calories.29
- 4The Movie the Junk Food Industry Fears26
- 5The Doctor: “Have You Started an LCHF Diet, Or Something?”19
- 1Could that Low-Fat Diet Make You Even Fatter?340
- 2Dr. Oz Positive to LCHF Against Alzheimer’s!194
- 3What Happens If You Eat 5,800 Calories Daily on an LCHF Diet?172
- 4Butter has an Undeserved Bad Reputation, According to New Analysis149
- 5Dr McDougall in Shocking Vegan Interview141
- One MonthOne Year
- 1LCHF for Beginners
- 3How to Lose Weight
- 4Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- 5Questions and answers about LCHF
- 6About Diet Doctor
- 1 - 56 - 6
- The Doctor: "Have You Started an LCHF Diet, Or Something?"
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud Finally Results in an 8 Million Dollar Fine!
- The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud
- Why Do More and More Adults Get Type 1 Diabetes?
- Galina L.: I have a guess that…
- Science and Low Carb / Paleo
- erdoke: Lisa, I don't think that a…
- More comments